Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Happy Holly Days!

I had a Pink Floyd moment while making today's card.

Remember that scene in The Wall where Pink was arranging all the trash in their hotel room into elaborate patterns on the floor? It was so overwhelming to watch and seemed like something that would never be done.

Well that was sort of how I felt part of the way through this card - but I soldiered on because I knew it was going to be cute.

I love the way the Holly Berry Happiness set looks - it sort of has that drawing style that you see on currency, with all those little etched lines. I thought it would be fun to leave it in black and white with just a colored background - and pink - even though I hadn't yet associated it with the movie in my mind - seemed like the perfect choice. So before I show you the process on what looks like a simple card - I'll show you the simple card.

links to supplies

Seems simple enough right? Well let me show you all the teeny tiny masks I cut out.


Yep. Hand cut all those from masking paper. Then I stuck each little mask down, and brushed ink onto the card over the masked images with my Clarity Stencil Brushes. I had also masked the greeting area with Post-It tape, and then traced the edges with a Pitt Pen. Then I stamped the sentiment in that space with the MISTI.

On Splitcoast we always talk about how the simplest cards are the hardest - and it's true! This actually took as long as one of my more difficult watercolored cards.

This was relaxing, repetitive work - I actually really like fussy cutting - and I really like the both sort of modern and retro look of the finished card. The sentiment is from Concord & 9th - I thought the font style was perfect for these images.

This is for one of the Falliday challenges coming up next week. I can't tell you what the challenge is yet, but come join us - they are all fantastic and we have tons of prizes.

Loveyameanitbye.


3 comments:

  1. Looking at your beautiful work reminds me why I started buying stamps with dies!! Yes it is more ex but it sure does cut that fussy cutting down and or makes it easier. As always I love your work ( words & cards) . Thanks for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at your beautiful work reminds me why I started buying stamps with dies!! Yes it is more expensive but it sure does cut that fussy cutting down and or makes it easier. As always I love your work ( words & cards) . Thanks for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the fussy cutting was definitely worth it, it's s beautiful card.
    Have to say I couldn't do all the fussy cutting, I'm rubbish at it !
    Hope all is good in your world 😀

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...