Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lucky Charms

I lost my spirit animal ring.It's a beautiful, silver Hopi overlay ring that I bought at Indian Market in Santa Fe three years ago. I love this ring. It fits my finger like it was made for it. The day I saw it, my favorite Navajo artist, Raymond Twinhorse, had told me that morning that my spirit animal was a bear. I can't remember how he knew that. I don't know if he asked me my birthday, or the year I was born - I don't know. But he told me it was bear, and Raymond Twinhorse pretty much knows everything a person needs to know.

I can tell you right now, before I go on, that my parents are laughing at my spirit bear as they read this, because as we drove through (at 90 MPH, DADDY) the wilds of America when I was little I was terrified bears would eat us and frequently yelled this from the back of the Dodge station wagon, much to the amusement of my family.

But anyhow, when I went to the market that night and I found this beautiful ring that fit me like Cinderella's slipper fit her, I had to have it. I wear it a lot, on the middle finger of my right hand. But I lost it. The whole time it was lost, it made me sad. It nagged at me all the time, making me uncomfortable even when I wasn't thinking about it. My bear and I should not have been separated.

And then, the other day, I found it. And I don't think that a person has ever been happier to find anything. And I swear to you, my luck changed. For one thing, it snowed.What the heck? It doesn't snow here! But snow, and snow, and snow it did.

Then, I got a surprise in the mail. I got Take Ten Magazine, which had two of my cards published in it!So all in all, a happy ending when a person finds their spirit animal again.

I felt like singing.

Since it's Virtual Stamp Night on Splitcoast this weekend, and one of the challenges was "I Believe" - with a musical theme, I thought I could put it all together with this little ditty. This is me, singing about finding my lucky bear ring. :)

First, I masked off a little square on a white card with post its. I sponged it with Tempting Turquoise, Green Galore and Orchid Opulence. Before removing the post its, I stamped Musical Score (retired SU) in black on top.



The bird is the Big Shot Sizzix die, and Graphic 45 Communique paper, which was a gift from my beloved Paper Grace. I sponged the edges with Really Rust. So, do you feel lucky?

Maybe you should watch this video. (Via Daniel Whittington)


Have you signed up for the UBlue Cyber Club? Attended one of my Webinars?? Come on - get your geek on! :)

Want to see my other blog?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Lydia! I absolutely LOVE your new card. It truly sings! LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! I am so happy for you that you found your spirit ring too. I know how it is to find what you thought to be gone forever. I have a purple rosary that hs been missing for ever so long. I am certain it will never show up (having been gone for over 50 years -- still, you never know). Congratulations on your being published. That must be a thrill! Not so sure about the video. Kinda spooky. Interesting though. I love reading your blog cuz it often makes me think (well, deeper thoughts than "what'll I make for dinner") You are neat!
    hugs and let your heart keep singing!
    tonilea

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you back in the "spirit." Just wondering where the ring showed up? Gotta run to Barnes & Noble, pick up a copy of Take 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY that you found your ring!!! I have that nagging feeling sometimes when I've lost (or even my kids have lost) important/sentimental things, and it's not a fun feeling.

    YAY also for the 2 cards in Take Ten. Congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you found your ring. And your card is so, so, so GORGEOUS! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love those markets in NM? I've gotten several things from both the Sante Fe area and Albuquerque. My sister-in-law lives in Sante Fe and they just have THE best things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the cards in Take Ten! Love New Mexico!!!

    Denise Foor
    http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for Take Ten!
    LOVE this card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card
    love how you created the background for the music.

    not sure getting snow is lucky but glad you found your ring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS on the mag- those are my cards on the cover!! I will go back and check yours out!! Glad you found your ring!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when blogger suggests other posts one may like... today, it was this one. And I do like this post. I'm wondering if you still have your spirit-animal ring today. I'm trying to picture if I have seen it in recent videos. Love the snowy backyard too. XOX

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...