Wednesday, May 3, 2017

But Wait - THERE'S MER!

So, I was very tickled that one of you commented that you hoped someone would show the Hero Arts Paper Layering MerMAN after I posted my merMAIDS. So Francine D - thank you for asking.

It just so happens that I experimented with the Merman - and did something I wanted to try after I used the Mermaid in class.

The paper layering dies are ingenious. They have become more intricate and realistic with every release. For me - since I am a complete fail at 3D projects - they are the PERFECT compromise - I can have something beautiful and dimensional, but without math, scoring, blah blah blah.

So I sat down with the Merman die to try out my idea, which was sort of a modified paper tole. After I watercolored him and pushed out all the dimensional scales, his tail, his awesome Lyle-Lovett inspired hair and his arms, I flipped him over onto my pierce mat, and gently used an embossing stylus in a circular motion to make his muscles really pop out. His beefy arms and triceps stand out like real muscles.

I LOVE the way he looks. I might have to keep this card, which is something I try hard not to do.

I'm THRILLED that my buff little Merman is featured on the Hero Arts blog today - what a huge honor. Love those people.
Paper Layering Merman by Understand Blue





I used the same background I did for the Mermaid - smooshing Aegean and Summer Sky ink onto my craft mat, spritzing them and picking them up with watercolor paper. I used the oval die from the My Monthly Hero kit to cut that out and glued him onto it. The kit itself is sold out, but their Oval Infinity Dies and ALL the add-ons I used for my mermaid cards are still available, so don't despair. Also, you can subscribe, so you never miss a kit - I never want to miss a kit!

I had so much fun playing with this - like the Koi die, those little scales are so much fun to pop out, and it looks so realistic.

Well, as realistic as a Merman can look. Not that I don't believe in Mermen - I'm not saying that - there's one right here in my post, so clearly they're real. But you know what I mean.

Loveyameanitbye.



6 comments:

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...