Monday, May 1, 2017

A Mermazing May!

Last week, I went to Boston with my friend Libby to help her out at the Collins Group Education & Trade Show. I got to teach a class there, and it was so much fun.

In the short amount of non-work time we had on Saturday - we went downtown and saw the JFK Presidential Library which was amazing. I happened to be listening to Killing Kennedy at the time, and seeing so many objects from the book, the clothing, etc., was really incredible - I felt immersed in that time period. The campaign dresses were tied for my favorite thing in the library with Jackie's art journal/scrapbook that she did on a trip to Europe with her sister, called One Special Summer.

The library is in a STUNNING spot - at the conclusion of the tour you walk into a beautiful glass atrium designed by I.M. Pei - the guy who designed the triangle in front of the Louvre AND my student center at the University of Rochester, strangely enough. Walking into the bright, airy space with a huge American flag hanging in it, actually gave me a flashback to the many hours I spent in that space. Even in a horribly grey climate like upstate New York - that was one place you could go for tons and tons of UV rays and bright, natural light. I love his airy design. Just outside the atrium is the harbor - you can look back across it to Boston. It was gorgeous. Jackie must have been thrilled with that perfect spot for the library. Highly recommend a trip there if you get a chance.

After that, Libby was nice enough to indulge me in a trip to Dick Blick - the first time I've ever been in one of those stores - heaven! I was blown away by how friendly they all were too - great service, and really friendly people - both there and at my hotel. I lived in Boston for one summer during college, and like New York in that time period, it was most decidedly not a friendly city. Maybe like New York, it became friendlier after 9/11. Whatever the cause - it's awesome. People were so nice. It's such a beautiful, fun place.

So today's My Monthly Hero kit is so perfect for my recent trip to the ocean! It's all about the sea, and the images are SOOOOO beautiful. I freaked out and did multiples with it again because I could not help myself.

I had actually used one of the add-ons for this kit at the class I taught in Boston. (You'll see the other cards soon!) This gorgeous paper-layering mermaid was so much fun, and I bonded hard with the die.

I used the blue inks listed below for the background - I smooshed them on my craft mat, sprayed them with water, and then dabbed my watercolor paper into them to get a watery background look. The mermaid was super easy and fun - it uses two Daniel Smith colors from the Hero Arts dot card - and that's it! If you want to try out watercolors, these dot cards are a great way to do it - they are only $2.99 and you get 18 colors - I love the palette they chose.

I painted the mermaid with only Quinacridone Pink and Quinacridone Gold - that's it! All variations are made from blending these two colors. In my class - they made me say "quinacridone" like twenty times to learn how to say it - it was hilarious - it's such a hard word!

After she was painted, I dried her, and then used my piercing tool to poke out her scales from the back, some strands of hair, her arms and her tail. Then I put glue just around the edge pieces that aren't dimensional, and glued that down to the background. I added some gems and a sentiment. Look how pretty she is! I think they all had fun making this one.
Paper Layering Mermaid by UnderstandBlue



When I played with the kit - I really thought watercolor was the perfect backdrop for alllllll the images in the kit's stamp set - . So I used the oval die that is included with the Reef Border and Frame Fancy Dies - also an add-on, to cut two large ovals from watercolor paper. One of them, I painted with Phthalo Blue Green Shade Daniel Smith Watercolor. The other, I painted with Raw Sienna Light, and I used that and Burnt Sienna Light on the starfish and to spatter this piece. I watercolored the Mermaid with Opera Pink and Quinacridone Pink on a scrap of watercolor paper, and painted her shadow with Quinacridone Gold. There's a matching die in the kit, but I fussy cut her so she wouldn't have a border. I fussy cut the starfish too.

The sentiment is from Mermazing Messages (an add-on). It's hard to see here, but I glued down the bottom part of each image, and popped the top of each image up - so they are both sort of leaning out of the card towards you.
May My Monthly Hero by UnderstandBlue





Finally, I wanted to play with another add-on - the Reef frame die. If you can resist this beautiful frame, I'll worry about you a little bit. So there's this GORGEOUS mulberry paper with the kit - on one side it's this deep blue/green watery look, and on the other side, it's more defined color with gold marbling - click on the kit image above to see a closeup - it's stunning. It was very hard to cut into it. Turns out it's a dead-on match to the DS Phthalo Blue Green Shade watercolor - so I used that for the outside of the frame, and then I painted the plants and animals.

I stamped the solid creature images in Indigo ink onto the mulberry paper before attaching the frame. Then I added the sentiment from the main kit in white ink, that I heat embossed. Just a tip - since mulberry paper has little fibers in it - I wasn't sure how it would do with embossing powder - I was afraid the powder would stick to the fibers, so before I embossed it, I painted on a little Liquitex Matte Medium just to make the surface more smooth. It embossed perfectly!

Reef Frame Die Fancy Cuts by UnderstandBlue



I love these magical, mythical images and played with this kit for days. Even my Google Fiber technician who installed our new high speed internet this week oohed and aahed over the kit and the cards - she was a crafty girl too.

Lucky for one of you - Hero Arts is giving away one of these kits to one lucky blog reader - selected from the comments across all of the blogs in the hop. (They will reimburse you if you have already bought the kit, since they are while supplies last. Nice, huh?) Giveaway closes Sunday, May 7 at 11:59pm, and the winner will be announced the following week on the Hero Arts blog. So please leave me a comment and visit these fine individuals who I'm lucky to hop with today! Next up is my sweet friend Libby!



Thanks for stopping by, and for being generally mermazing!

Loveyameanitbye.

169 comments:

  1. Look at the amazing colors being used in the mermaid pink and yellow and it looks like water coloring in the other card. I have not used the water coloring is it hard to work with? Do you suggest a certain product for water coloring for beginners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly! If you're just starting out, I'd start with reinkers or an inexpensive travel set like the Koi Travel set - search koi in my search box to see the one I like. I have lots of watercolor videos on my YouTube channel, and the Online Card Classes watercolor classes are great! I don't think it's hard at all - it just takes practice!

      Delete
  2. So very beautiful! 😍😍😍 Thanks for the giveaways and inspiration! 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color is so rich! Looking at your card makes me feel like I am indeed under the sea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow and wow for all your design love the colors too thank you so much for sharing your work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you colored the mermaid bright pink, super pretty. I love all your cards and ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! My girls love mermaids! Just bought my kit today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm digging that hot pink mermaid! And your ocean full of thanks card is my fave use of that die I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. The paper layering mermaid is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cards, especially the backgrounds! I need to try what you did for the first one - dipping paper into the ink - that looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thank you for your impressive cards. I love your attention to detail. I'm very interested in the technique you used to emboss the specialty paper that came with the kit. Do you apply the liquitex where you want the embossing powder to stick or where you want it not to stick so it will dust right off? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it on the area where I was going to do the embossing so the little fibers of the paper wouldn't stick up.

      Delete
  11. What super projects!! Loved reading about your adventures too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cards are amazing. I love all the watercoloring, as that's a favorite technique for me. This is a most awesome kit from Hero Arts, especially for those of us who love the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous trio of cards! Love all of them and this kit is magnificent! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Three totally different 'looks' for your cards!! I really like the way you colored in the beautiful frame!! Hadn't thought of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What nice vibrant cards. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the card using the sea background die. I enjoyed how you watercolored the oval die cut

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of your cards and can't wait to play with this kit! My favorite is your last card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely cards, Lydia. Your last card reminds me of going to the Baltimore Aquarium and being immersed by all of the aquatic life all around me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great cards. great kit. thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These projects are super cute and sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The background on your first card, simply, is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your cards! and I miss your group chats with people from the craft industry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all these beautiful backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you watercolored the Reef Border; such a great idea! Beautiful cards ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such beautiful cards, really love how you used and coloured the paper pieced mermaid. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the water color! These are fun and capture a summer vibe

    ReplyDelete
  28. Especially like the dimension of the pieces that pop up for the mermaid die.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for showing off the beautiful serene die cut mermaid, and the depth and beautiful colors in the ocean scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your oval fram card is stunning. Beautufl colors and wonderfully imaginative. Tfs

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!!! Beautiful cards and your painting is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely job , I'm excited to work on my very own kit !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful "Under the Sea" imagination. Can't wait to get started on some cards.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous cards. Love the ocean scene.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic cards!!! They are all so lovely. I love the die cut mermaid! The colors you used on her are so gorgeous!! And the card with the reef frame die is just amazing. I love the deep rich colors!! Just spectacular ❤️ Thanks so much for all these inspiring ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic cards and such amazing watercoloring! :)
    I have really enjoyed hopping along, so many wonderful creations ♥ Tindaloo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your ideas for this kit. I ordered it this afternoon. I am really liking these Hero Arts monthly kits.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the 3rd card, the ocean background is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fabulous cards!! The colors on the Mermaid ate great. Can't believe you only used 2 colors. I have the dot card high on my wish list. Thanks for sharing all these awesome projects!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the card with the reef colored in

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am so glad to see the layered mermaid since it is hard to know how it looks without an example so thank you. As well she is absolutely

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am glad to see what the layered mermaid looks like and she is beautiful. Thank you for choosing her as your example.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like the water color technique and the bright colors that you used on the card. Made the cards stand out and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  44. It is always a treat to see your beautiful use of color turned into amazing cards.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful cards! I saw the pic from Dick Blick and was sooooooo jelly, until I found out that there's one in Pittsburgh, right near me! Lol, silly me! And now I need to go look up how to say "quinacridone"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Cool cards! I especially like the one with the reef border die. Very realistic-looking underwater scene.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ocean full of thanks is a really beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such beautiful cards! Love this whole kit! It's absolutely my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful! Love the watercolor background!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank YOU for being Mermazing!! And thanks for sharing your wonderfully colored cards. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous cards. Love the beautiful rich colors.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Beautiful cards! Love the colors used in the paper-pieced mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  53. All your cards are fabulous. Thanks for the tip for embossing on the tissue paper, and for the inspiration to play with water colors. You don't have to worry about me because I COULD NOT RESIST the reef die, so I cannot wait to get it and my kit, so I can freak out as well. Keep your great prose and inspiration coming!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love the vibrant colors of your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh Lydia, I love you and your cards! Your blog is so fun to read! I ordered this kit too, plus several of the additions.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh I love your cards. You are so creative and the colors you chose are perfect for each of your cards. Thanks for sharing about your trip. Glad you enjoyed it. I love to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thanks for sharing your cards. I can't believe that that mermaid is only colored with two colors of Daniel smith paint. You have definitely enabled me on that reef die and am hoping they also carry some Daniel paints so I can give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Fun to see the die on a car ... and I love her mer-mazing lady in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for sharing your cards. I can't believe you colored the mermaid with just two colors of Daniel smith paint. You have definitely enabled me to purchase the reef die and if they carry Daniel smith paint I will have to try some myself.
    Kathy D.

    ReplyDelete
  60. OMG, Lydia! Your cards are mermazing! I love the last one - and I don't think I can resist anything in this kit! So glad you used the paper layering die - was on the fence for a minute; now I gotta have it!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Great cards. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  62. The backgrounds you've created are striking. Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Beautiful colors for the mermaid, thank you for sharing these lovely cards

    ReplyDelete
  64. Stunning! Ahhh, I really do need to pick up watercoloring because in the right hands it produces beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Your watercoloring is so deep and rich -- like being under the sea! So cute - this little mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I LOOOOVE this set!!! So beautiful, and my niece will love it too!!!
    xoxo,
    Azana H.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Thank you for sharing all this inspiration for us! This kit is one of their best!

    ReplyDelete
  68. I agree, the border frame die really is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  69. This is the first kit I've ordered and I'm so excited. These look like so much fun. Glad I saw the preview and set an alarm in my calendar to place the order.

    ReplyDelete
  70. The pink mermaids are very soft and feminine looking. Nicely done! And like the way you cut,colored, and used the frame die. Just wish Hero Arts brought in more of these items. The die was sold out last night. :(

    ReplyDelete
  71. Lydia you've got mad skills girl!! Gorgeous cards!! 💖😊

    ReplyDelete
  72. Your card ideas are amazing. I love that you used the largest die. I cant wait to see if someone did anything with the he-man. Love the combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a card on the Hero blog with him tomorrow :)

      Delete
  73. Your cards are amazing❣ I loved seeing them painted in DS paints we can easily obtain. I ordered the kit last night, including the incredible detailed reef die, and thought all was good. About 30 seconds later, I was getting ready to hit "submit" or whatever that last step is & the kit & reef changed to "out of stock". I was in shock. When I saw your cards this morning , I actually shed a few tears. I've never done that before!!! Sssshhhh, don't tell anyone. Beautiful cards, Lydia❣ Oh my, I would love to win. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news though Elizabeth - it's an add-on, so it will be back in stock! Take heart! xo

      Delete
  74. Beautiful watercolours. Great layering die so suited to a mermaid image.

    ReplyDelete
  75. That deep ocean blue color really makes the mermaid image pop and that die is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  76. I love how you made the creatures in that "ring thing" standout. Most everyone else had it just as a subtle background. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Everyone of your cards are created so beautifully. You have such talent! I especially am drawn to the first one though. I like the way you've popped out some of the hair & the scales. Just lovely.
    I'd order the kit in a heartbeat, but, alas, the exchange rate is beyond ridiculous. I'd be over the moon to win this kit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  78. your colors are so beautiful. I love the layered paper mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  79. The shading is fantastic.
    Love the die cuts - coloring
    in parts of it was a wonderful
    idea.
    thanks for sharing so many
    great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Love the cards! Great Blog hoop :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Your cards are fabulous, Lydia! Love the mermaids, the dies, and your coloring is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Great cards! I love this kit!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Oh my!! All your creations are gorgeous and I can't pick a favorite! Thank you for sharing all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  84. Gorgeous cards!! Love this kit!!

    ReplyDelete
  85. Beautiful cards! I love the water coloring. I am so incredibly sad that I missed out on this kit.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Beautiful cards I love the pink mermaid very pretty would love to win the kit

    ReplyDelete
  87. My favorite from this release is the Reef Frame die, love it! Your cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Fabulous array of cards ! Very beautiful watercoloring and gorgeous colours ! Very amazing showcasing of this new kit ! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Such beautiful cards! What a super cute kit, I just love mermaids and the ocean! Thanks for sharing. ~Gin K.~

    ReplyDelete
  90. Absolutely amazing and very beautiful cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  91. These cards are all just amazing. I love the last one best (although I hate to play favorites). What a fabulous kit (and add-ons)

    ReplyDelete
  92. Love your cards. Love the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Love the colored Reef Border Die, actually, loved all the cards! I'm feeling the need to swim!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Just gorgeous cards! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  95. Living in Florida I do like good beachy/ocean/mermaid/fishy themed products. I absolutely love this set. Thanks for the giveaway....I love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  96. Love your cards!!! So happy to see someone paint the reef die!

    ReplyDelete
  97. Lovely cards. Great way to use some stash like mulberry paper

    ReplyDelete
  98. I'm so glad you are on this hop!!

    I have been looking for the perfect mermaid stamps FOR YEARS! These are the perfect mermaid stamps, I am in love and desperate to have this set!!! I waited 24 hours too long to order because I stupidly promised my husband that I wouldn't order anything new until we sold our house and now I am so sad because they are all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Amazing kit! I went to take a look and it was already sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  100. All your cards are sooo gorgeous! I love all the watercoloring. So perfect for mermaid and ocean cards! Such a lovely kit and the add-ons are wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Gorgeous cards. Love the mermaids. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  102. Lovely cards!I really like these vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  103. I wish I could water color like you do. Just lovely. I know I have to practice, practice, practice. Love all the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  104. I love your pink mermaids and the colorful reefs on the border oval!!

    ReplyDelete
  105. Great cards. I especially liked your paper layering of the mermaid on your first card. Thanks for sharing your creations and for being part of this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Your background colors are beautiful, so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  107. I too missed out on this fabulous kit! Your colors are amazing and your coloring truly an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your wonderful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  108. I wondered what they meant by "paper layering" and now I know. I love the colors on your cards- very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  109. All three of your cards are great. I really like the layered die & I'm glad you show a really good use of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  110. Amazing talent! Great cards! She is a very pretty mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  111. Great cards. Love the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  112. OMG all the card are beautiful . specially the way you caret the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  113. I love how you colored the die cut and created shadows allowing the cut to get the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  114. Absolutely incredible! It's like I'm under the sea.. your water coloring is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  115. Oh My Goodness, a Pink Mermaid!!! How delightful! Your cards are so awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  116. Lydia, your card is STUNNING! Fantastic kit this month; no wonder it's already sold out! :(

    ReplyDelete
  117. these are all STUNNING!!! i'm in awe of your talent - and you have inspired me to try watercoloring when my kit gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  118. Beautiful!!! Love the watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  119. Wow awesome cards with this great kit.

    ReplyDelete
  120. Love all your samples but the reef one is my favourite! It's like looking through a porthole into a magical, underwater world - beautiful!
    I am LOVING this kit & it would be wonderful to win something - thank you for the opportunity.
    all the best, Liz M xx

    ReplyDelete
  121. such wonderful cards - absolutely love the watercolor looks you achieved with each of these stamps and dies!

    ReplyDelete
  122. Gorgeous cards. Thank you for sharing you amazing talent. Loving the blog hop (maybe that should be swim😉)

    ReplyDelete
  123. Your cards are luscious! Can't wait to get my hands on this fun kit!

    ReplyDelete
  124. The watercolor effect is so fitting for this kit!

    ReplyDelete
  125. These are gorgeous creations - love the inspiration for using this great kit !

    ReplyDelete
  126. Love love love them all! Can't wait to get my kit!

    ReplyDelete
  127. Gorgeous cards and amazing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  128. ooooh! the paper layering mermaid die is very unique- love how you used it. The blue oval colors are very bold and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  129. Fantastic cards! They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  130. I love how you did your card and got shadows on the card. That is such a cool technique! I want to learn how to do that. The ocean is so cool and i've been to Hawaii and Aruba and swam in both. When we were kids my parents used to rent out a cottage for a week in RI and we swam in the ocean. This was before Jaws and there was always a shark scare or 2 and we all had to get out of the water until the life guards went to check it out. I never did see a mermaid. Your card is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  131. Awesome cards, awesome kit.

    ReplyDelete
  132. These are all so unique and cheerful! Love the new Hero Arts kit!

    ReplyDelete
  133. Wow gorgeous cards I especially the 3rd one wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  134. I'm speechless! Your amazing 🙌🏽🙌🏽

    ReplyDelete
  135. Awesome colors and textures! This kit is awesome... my favorite kit so far!

    ReplyDelete
  136. Nice cards with the fun mermaids and the merman! I like the vibrant colors on the reef frame.

    ReplyDelete
  137. These are GORGEOUS! The last one is completely mesmerizing, seriously, I think you got me hypnotized! Love the pink mermaid in the sun too :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  138. SO MUCH FUN! Love these cards and kit!
    ~God bless~

    ReplyDelete
  139. Beautiful Cards. Love the water color look you achieved!!

    ReplyDelete
  140. Love to win! I adore the mermaid stamps and the beautiful papers in the kit ! Love the reef frame !

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...