Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Let's Gel

Is it just me, or has it been a crazy few weeks? I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse!

AND, as a result, I've done something I've NEVER done before - I've finished some things EARLY. As in, BEFORE they were due.

And not five minutes before like normal, but like DAYS. Crazy, huh? Must be the Ides of March.

So today, I bring you the tutorial I completed a whole four days early for today's Splitcoaststampers Weekly Inkling. I've been excited about this for a long, long time, ever since I took a monoprinting workshop from Linda Germain and fell in love with gel monoprinting (if you ever get a chance to take a class with her - do it).

Now a full disclaimer - I learned to print on a homemade gel plate, and the smell of the gelatin is so completely revolting I almost died while I was preparing it. Then I taught a few friends at a gathering in Dallas, and they agreed - it is gag-inducing. After it's set, it doesn't smell, but the preparation is more than I could ever do again. I MUCH prefer a Gelli Plate.

I love the process - the zen feel of rubbing the paper onto the Gelli Plate and pulling multiple prints, the bright colors - it's relaxing and exciting at the same time. I love the abstraction of pattern and color and the complete surprise with the result. You really never know what you're going to get! (Insert Forrest Gump voice here) Of course, then I take all that abstraction and put it into a clean and simple environment, as is my custom. :)

So here's the card I made with the Hexagon Hive thinlit and one of my favorite gelli prints. I used the die cut inlay technique to make it a truly one layer card.




Pin It

I just LOVE those colors and patterns. So pretty against that nice bright white.

So if you've never tried a Gelli Plate, here's the video to show you how easy and fun it is. In two seconds you can be creating a big stack of beautiful prints to use on your cards, or in journals or as framed art. Enjoy!




Oh - and before you go - I've posted registration information for my retreat in Salt Lake in July - see the graphic just below this to sign up for classes and for my happy hour! :)

If you've already filled out my pre-registration form, you need to click the graphic below to formally register & pay.

Loveyameanitbye.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! I love your monoprint! Love how you created a CAS with it!!! I am off to view your video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are still torturing me! I want to go to Salt Lake (SOB!)! However, your prints are beautiful, and your voice and pace of instruction are soothing. I could imagine sipping a fine cocktail under fanning palm fronds while providing commentary on the color play-by-play. Sigh. I seriously want to meet you IRL and cause trouble and leave graffiti smudges that will permanently scar Austin in a brilliant way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was fascinating. i have a regular at work who shared with me about a class she went to while on vacation in Oregon where she learned this technique, but i couldn't really visualize it. it's stunning! very informative tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOW I NEED A GELLI PLATE YES I AM YELLING. #shakesfist

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...